Food Safety Manager
KERVYN M. MARK
488 Fountain Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11208
To obtain a supervisory/management position with a food manufacturing or food service company in food safety or quality assurance management that will challenge and enhance my experience, knowledge, skills and years of increasing responsibility.
Director of Food Sanitation and Safety – CulinArt, Inc. (3/2012 – 4/2013)
• Provided reliable, precise, and timely technical support of food service and vending operations, aligned with company philosophy, with regard to all food safety and sanitation matters, conformance to corporate Quality Assurance programming, and regulatory compliance.
• Acted as a liaison with regulatory officials proactively and reactively as necessary. Kept abreast of current and proposed regulations, and technical references.•
Monitored third-party food safety audit of assigned food service establishments, and supported the overall program as related to its reliability and value as an operations food safety performance matrix.
• Responded to and investigated complaints of food borne illness, food-related injury, and product defects/contamination with the objective of determination of the root cause of substantiated allegations. Coordinated lab analyses and forensic examinations as deemed necessary. Ensured appropriateness of corrective actions to prevent recurrence. Reported on findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
• Engaged regional leadership in bi-annual food safety performance reviews, prompting actionable and impactful responses.• Assisted with the development and execution of HACCP plans specific to projects and special events.
• Monitored regulatory agency landscape for emerging concerns, consumer advisories, food safety alerts, proposed regulations, and similar public health and business-impact issues.
• Monitored industry landscape for food safety best practice.
• Prepared tracking, trending, exception, summary, and other reports associated with Quality Assurance programs and regulatory compliance, including monitoring and support activities.
• Executed specialty technical and support roles as assigned.
• Conducted technical research as needed. Developed briefs, position papers, standards, processes/procedures, executive summary documents, and similar written materials associated with assignments and role/responsibilities.
• Worked closely with company staff across Operations team, as well as with other field support functional areas and departments.• Developed and delivered presentations to internal stakeholders, including food safety compliance reviews, training sessions, workshops, focus groups, and other forums and audiences.
• Actively participated in and contributed to the overall value of team meetings.
• Continuously improved job workflow, procedures, and tasks to increase efficiency and assure stakeholder satisfaction.
Supervising Public Health Sanitarian - NYC Dept. of Health & Mental Hygiene (1/99 – 1/12)
• Assigned inspections and other work to subordinates and establishes a schedule for its completion.
• Responded to technical telephone or written inquiries from the public or other agencies.
• Instructed violators concerning ways to improve operations in order to comply with the NYC health code and explains the extent of the penalties for non-compliance.
• Tabulated and submits statistical records and other required reports concerning work performed by members of the unit.
• Trained Sanitarians in new procedures and/or job skills, as needed. Also, orients new employees or transferees to office rules, policies and procedures.
• Reviewed inspection reports and makes follow-up inspections to evaluate work performance of Sanitarians. Also takes corrective action when needed to maintain the work of the unit at a level which is satisfactory to higher agency management.
• Authored inspection protocols for Office of Mobile Food Vending.
• Training Program Coordinator for the Office of Mobile Food Vending.
• Acted as Bureau’s trainer and lecturer as various universities. (NY Culinary, New York University, etc.).
Public Health Sanitarian - NYC Dept. of Health, Bureau of Inspections (4/95 -12/98)
• Made periodic inspections of restaurants, retail food processing establishments, bakers and institutions to ensure they have a safe and wholesome food supply.
• Inspected commercial establishments, multiple dwellings, schools and vacant lots for environmental health and safety violations; such as unsanitary conditions, insect/rodent harborages or infestations, animal nuisance, unsafe water supplies and inadequate ventilation.
• Enforced the Smoke-Free Air Act.
• Prepared direct responses and correspondence to elected officials and State and City Agencies pertaining to all special inspection requests.
• Attended community board meetings to educate all persons on Bureau’s Rodent Control Initiative.
Bachelor of Science - Chemistry and Computer Science, Pace University, NYC 1993
Food Safety Inspector Officer II Certification, New York State Department of Heath, 2006
HAACP Certification, New York State Department of Health, 2006
References Available Upon Request